Rafael Leao was linked with a few teams in the Saudi Pro League in the summer, but in the end the Portuguese striker decided to stay at AC Milan with a five-year contract extension.
In an interview with GQ Portugal, Rafael Leao clearly stated the reason why he refused a generous salary from Saudi Arabian giants.
“Saudi Pro League’s proposal to me? For me, The Champions League is worth more than 10 million euros in wages,” said the 24-year-old striker.
“I’m still focused on doing great things with AC Milan. That’s why I signed a new contract a few months ago.”
Rafael Leao is in quite good form for the Rossoneri at the beginning of this season, scoring 3 goals and providing 1 assist.
“I believe the club is on the right track, we have reached the semi-finals of the Champions League. Now the club’s goal must be to continue to move forward, to add, to continue to become stronger,” he said. The winger born in 1999 added.
“And I’m sure that Milan will win the Champions League again soon, that’s our goal. About myself, I’m young, I’m a player who wants to win big things, I think Champions League is every player’s dream and we are working hard for this.”
In Serie A this season, AC Milan is temporarily ranked 2nd with only one defeat against great rival Inter Milan in the fourth round. While in the UEFA Champions League, Rafael Leao and his teammates certainly face a big challenge in the group including PSG, Newcastle United and Borussia Dortmund. Stefano Pioli and his team were unable to defeat Newcastle in the midweek match last week, allowing their opponents to hold to a scoreless draw at home.
Nam Thanh | 01:26 September 26, 2023