Chelsea’s performance is quite up and down despite changing generals. The Blues had a 3-game losing streak against Arsenal, Brighton and Newcastle in the Premier League. After the 2022 World Cup, teacher and coach Graham Potter returned with a victory over Bournemouth at Stamford Bridge.
However, they continued to be dragged back to the ground when only getting a 1-1 draw against Nottingham Forest. Currently, they have dropped to 10th place in the Premier League table. Therefore, Chelsea must win against Man City in the match that takes place at dawn on January 6 (3am Vietnam time), if not to close the hope of reaching the top 4.
In contrast, Man City also needs 3 points to chase Arsenal. The Gunners being held back by Newcastle United is a good opportunity for The Citizens to shorten the gap to 5 points.
– Chelsea: Many first team players are absent. Reece James was forced off the field early in the 2-0 win over Bournemouth and was sidelined for a month. Similar to Ben Chilwell, N’Golo Kante or Wesley Fofana are also injured. Edouard Mendy could return to the bench, after being left out of the squad against Nottingham Forest. Mateo Kovacic could start after coming on from the bench in the previous game.
– Man City: Ruben Dias has a hamstring injury and could be out for a few weeks. Aymeric Laporte is not sure to play due to a back problem. Julian Alvarez could return to the starting lineup after returning from the World Cup.
– Man City drew in the first half and then won in official time in the last 3 matches against Chelsea in all competitions.
– An average of 2.5 goals have been scored in 7 of Chelsea’s last 8 Premier League matches.
– Man City have kept clean sheets and won their last 3 matches against Chelsea in all competitions.
– Chelsea scored an average of 2.5 goals in the last 4 matches against Man City in all competitions.
This will be the second meeting this season between the two teams. Manchester City won 2-0 against Chelsea in the League Cup in November. This is also the first meeting this week alone when Chelsea also face Man City in the third round of the FA Cup.
– Chelsea are in bad form in recent times, winning only 1 of the last 7 matches in the league. Most recently, they only got a 1-1 draw against Nottingham Forest.
– Man City, despite being in second place, also won only 1 of the last 3 matches in the Premier League and only kept 1 clean sheet in the last 7 matches in the top English league. They entered this match after letting a poor Everton draw with a score of 1-1.
However, with Chelsea’s dense injury list, Man City can win 3 points away from home. At that time, the crisis will last for the Blues.
Chelsea 1-3 Man City (according to Whoscored)
Xiao Lam | 07:56 January 5, 2023