De Jong has been out of action since the end of September due to an ankle injury suffered in the first half of the match against Celta Vigo. There was hope that the 26-year-old could return against Real Madrid last week, but Barça decided not to risk the Dutch star.
The former Ajax player is also absent from Barca’s squad list for the away match against Real Sociedad. And latest, SPORT reporter Toni Juanmarti said De Jong will miss a few more matches in the coming weeks.
The Camp Nou team does not want to risk De Jong’s recovery process, as the Dutch midfielder still feels discomfort in his ankle. Accordingly, he will miss the upcoming matches against Shakhtar Donetsk and Deportivo Alaves. If everything goes well, De Jong will return after the international break, when Barcelona take on Rayo Vallecano on November 25.
Speaking about De Jong’s condition earlier today in the press conference, Barcelona coach Xavi Hernandez said: “It depends on how De Jong feels. Pedri feels good, but Frenkie doesn’t yet. He tried, but still having problems.”
Minh Tuan | 19:59 November 3, 2023